What To Eat For Glowing Skin By Glorious Wellness
Rebecca Hirst is a nutrition coach on a mission to help busy people feel gloriously well. Through her blog Glorious Wellness, lifestyle coaching and workshops, Rebecca teaches her clients how to feel the best they can through the foods they eat. One of her specialities is how to harness the power of nutrition to eliminate bad skin. We caught up with Rebecca to find out how she got into nutrition and her top 5 tips to get the glow from the foods we eat:
"6 years ago I was diagnosed with adult acne for the 2nd time. I had it in my 20s and thought I’d outgrown it. Sadly not. It came back with a cheek-covering vengeance in my 30s. Both times I was prescribed the powerful anti-acne drug, Roaccutane. It clears the acne but has some hideous side effects.
I was introduced to a nutritional therapist who helped me to manage the side effects, as well as uncover what was triggering the spots. Turned out it was cow’s milk and gluten. I gradually changed my diet to eliminate both and have slowly, slowly healed my skin.
That prompted my passion for nutrition and I studied at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition before launching Glorious Wellness. Prior to this, I worked in advertising and marketing for 20 years until I turned 40…..at which point I knew I HAD to follow my passion for helping people to get gloriously well and to get glowing, gorgeous skin.
5 Tried & Tested Glowing Skin Tips:
- Water water and more water. Yes you’ve heard this before but it’s sooooo important to drink 2 litres of pure, clear water a day. Especially at this time of year. It’s the single most important thing you can do for your skin. Buy a refillable bottle and take it everywhere with you. I’ve got one of those metal camping-shop ones just because I prefer metal to glass or plastic….. and it’s always with me.
- Eat a rainbow of colourful, antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables every day. Aim to have 3-4 veggies and 1-2 fruits each day. Mix and match. The more variety, the better. A simple way to get a boost of green-goodness into your day is a green smoothie for breakfast. At my Get Glowing Skin Workshops this month, I’ve been making this combination:
- 1 tsp Aduna Moringa Superleaf Powder
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach
- 3 springs of parsley
- ¼ of a cucumber (leave the skin on)
- ½ a ripe banana
- Small piece of ginger
- 1 tsp ground flaxseeds
- Coconut water
- Blend and slurp
- Good fats are your skin’s friend. We need good fats to glow. The best ones to feed and nourish our skin (and hair and nails) are avocados, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and a little bit of organic butter. The ones that are most frequently in rotation for me are avocado on toast for breakfast, some olive oil on my salad and coconut oil on toast with a sprinkle of sea salt. It’s delicious.
- Stay off the sugar. When we eat sugar, it leads to a spike in insulin levels, creating inflammation in the body. This triggers enzymes that break down collagen and elastin (hello wrinkles and sagging), plus digested sugar permanently attaches to collagen through a process called glycation, which makes the skin stiff. Not sounding so great, right? On the days when I need something sweet or chocolatey (‘cos we all have days like that right?) I’ll go for an almond milk hot chocolate made with Aduna Super-Cacao, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a teensy bit of local honey or a chocolate goji bliss ball (I keep a few in the fridge for sweet-craving emergencies).
- Move More to get your blood flowing and oxygen circulating. Choose something that makes you feel goooooood. Walking, dancing, cycling, gardening, swimming, spinning, yoga. Commit to 30 minutes of it and Do It. Daily. What matters is moving in a way that YOU enjoy. Then you’ll glow with good health."
Rebecca offers private coaching, group coaching and is currently doing workshops in Neal's Yard, Tunbridge Wells, for more information visit her website at www.gloriouswellness.com.